The holiday season is in full swing and there’s nothing extra festive than lighting candles scented with cinnamon, recent reduce pine or peppermint in your house.
However this seemingly routine holiday custom can develop into an sudden well being hazard.
Let me clarify…
Most scented candles include artificial fragrances that may intrude together with your hormonal system.
It was the primary ever anti-getting older fitness program.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) discovered that greater than seventy five% of merchandise itemizing “perfume” as an ingredient contained phthalates.
These chemical compounds are utilized in tub oils, blushes, nail polishes and a number of different private care merchandise.
They usually’re in lots of scented candles.
Phthalates are estrogen-mimickers that result in estrogen overload. They destroy your delicate stability of estrogen, testosterone and different hormones.
I’ve seen firsthand in my clinic how these chemical compounds can result in estrogen dominance. And an necessary research has proven the hyperlink between these environmental toxins and hormone results in each wildlife and people.1
In ladies these alien estrogens decelerate thyroid perform and trigger weight achieve. Additionally they deliver on excessive signs of PMS and menopause. Women as younger as 7 and eight years previous undergo early puberty and develop breasts and sexual traits.2
These chemical compounds can even result in diabetes, neurological issues, coronary heart illness, start defects and infertility.three
However phthalates will not be the one hazard with candles…
Most candles are additionally made with paraffin. Paraffin is a waste product from the petroleum business. It’s like burning diesel gasoline in your house.
A research from the College of South Carolina discovered that burning paraffin candles releases carcinogens like alkenes, alkanes and toluene.four All of these are recognized to trigger well being issues in people.
However don’t let this dampen your holiday spirit. There’s a wholesome various you will discover that units the temper with out disrupting your hormones or poisoning your air.
Right here’s what I like to recommend when purchasing for candles:
- Select candles which might be unscented or scented with pure important oils.
- Search for candles with braided cotton, paper or hemp wicks.
- As an alternative of paraffin, search for pure beeswax candles. Some candles are a mixture of paraffin and beeswax so select candles comprised of one hundred% beeswax.
You may also make your personal candles. It’s not troublesome. I like to recommend mixing beeswax with coconut oil and important oils.
Selfmade Christmas Candle Recipe
- eight ounces beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 50 to seventy five drops natural important oil
- Cotton wick
- Warmth-resistant glass jar (12-ounce)
- Soften wax in a double boiler over medium warmth till absolutely melted and temperature reaches about one hundred seventy levels F.
- Mix in coconut oil till absolutely melted. Add the important oils and stir to include.
- Tie one finish of the wick to a pencil. Lay the pencil throughout the mouth of the jar with the wick hanging inside.
- Reduce the wick to a size lengthy sufficient to hold straight and ending ¼ inch above the underside of the jar.
- As soon as wax has cooled to one hundred sixty levels, slowly pour it into the jar, adjusting the wick to remain centered. Fill jar to at least one inch under opening.
- Let the wax dry for one to 2 days. As soon as utterly dry, minimize the wick to ½ inch.
Good important oil decisions for the vacations embrace pine, cinnamon, peppermint, clove, nutmeg, candy orange, ginger, cedarwood, anise, frankincense and myrrh.
Combine a number of of them collectively to make your personal signature holiday mix.
To Your Good Well being,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1. Sonnenschein C, Soto AM: An up to date assessment of environmental estrogen and androgen mimics and antagonists. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1998 Apr.
2. Cesario S, Hughes L. “Precocious puberty: a complete evaluation of literature.” J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2007.
three. Ziv-Gai, A., et al. “The consequences of in-utero bisphenol-A publicity reproductive capability in a number of generations of mice.” Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015.
four. “Frequent use of sure candles produces undesirable chemical compounds” Accessed December three, 2017 https://www.scsu.edu/news_article.aspx?news_id=832